.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, June 15, 2006

FUR II


I would like to respond to some of Julie's comments made on Almost Girl.
My comments (yet again rushed due to time constraints) are not to threaten, but like Julie's to cause thought and reflection about the fur industry. I will try and keep this revolving around the fur issue since it is Fur Fashion week.

Let me highlight once again. This is not a catfight readers. And I will not respond to bitchy and nasty comments. But I am happy to be educated with facts.

It is important to analyze and question issues that are important to us all. For if we didn't, then where would this world be?

Julie. You made the following comment...

How it deals with those sourcing issues is what can make it immoral.

Good point here, but do you mean sourcing fur from farms where the animals have been treated inhumanly or at times skinned alive by hunters? (I would be interested to know about their methods if anyone has any information about it.)

I'm not sure what the demand/ supply ratios for these products are. But like many companies I'm sure, during times of shortages companies would turn to unethical methods in order to turn a profit. If fur is to be sold in the market place, then it should be farmed in a humane manner. And transparency is a must to keep animal activists and concerned consumers satisfied.


Through my education and my own work on a farm in Colorado I raised, slaughtered, and ate animals that had been in my own care. This experience taught me a kind of appreciation for my own consumption habits as they relate to a larger life cycle.

Living on a farm has given you a greater insight to the food chain and the importance of not wasting food.

So I am sure you can see importance of using the whole animal rather than just part of it. I could not find any information at
http://www.iftf.com or at http://www.fur.org/ on carcass disposal or what happens to the carcass after it has been skinned. So why use it? If anyone finds information about this, please tell me. Maybe I missed it on their sites.

You also write about the longevity of fur and heirlooms...

In fact, I actually prefer (fur) to many fabrics because they are generational pieces that become heirlooms.

Quilts can also become heirlooms, can be made from recycled fabrics and can even be made by family members, making it more valuable than a fur.

Most people, yes even PETA activists live in such a state of disconnect from our planet that they are forced into emotional relationships with the many living creatures that live below us in the food chain.

I agree with you that people live in a state of disconnect. Generally speaking that is. But on the other hand there are a lot of people out there that really know what's going on in the world. Just check out some blogs


And as a whole, yes we don't want to relate what we eat to animals and we do over consume. Just take a look at the US and Australia’s rising obesity problems. We need to be more aware of what we consume and consider if it's worth continuing. As I see it, fur as a luxury is one of those products that needs to be discontinued.

And vegetarians, don’t kid yourself into thinking that your consumption habits are a get out of jail free card, the mango you enjoyed wasn’t grown in your neighbors backyard.

I disagree with this statement. Vegetarians are probably more aware of food miles than the average Joe sitting in front of the TV munching away on their snacks.
FiftyRX3 is and example of that. She is constantly discussing food miles and organic food.

There are many issues that surround this industry and at times it can be difficult to form an opinion from all the information that is out there. Read the facts from both sides, plus independent sources and form your own logical opinion. You’re entitled to it.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?